Saturday, February 4, 2012

Money Tree Tutorial


Hi everyone!  Today I've got a money tree tutorial to share.  If you've ever wondered how to make a money tree, here is how I do it.

I actually wrote a similar tutorial a few years ago for the old Cornish Heritage Farms blog.  When they closed up the old blog got shut down.  Recently a reader emailed and asked if I could step it out again, so here it is.


Supplies:

9" high styrofoam cone (found in the floral section of the craft store)
Small flower pot or tin pail for the base
Approx 20 dollar bills
Bobby Pins
Topper (this one is made with American Crafts glitter cardstock cut with the Sizzix Primitive Star die.  2 stars are cut and glued together back to back with a toothpick in between)


The bottom of the styrofoam cone is about 3 3/4" diameter.  I like it to sit in the pot about 1" below the rim.  I don't use any adhesive, I just press it in until the styrofoam is nice and snug.  If you're buying your pot at the craft store when you're buying the cone you'll be able to test them out in the store for a good fit.


Then start at the short end and accordion fold the dollar.


Slide the accordion folded dollar through the bobby pin.


Fan it open.


Then press the open ends of the bobby pin all the way in to the styrofoam cone.


Then fill the tree.

It takes about 20 to fill this 9" cone.  This part is tedious and time consuming.  Enlist help from your husband and your kids.  Anyone can accordion fold a dollar, and more hands will make it come together much quicker.

I first learned how to do this about 15 years ago when I was working in an office.  We were planning a bridal shower for a co-worker and took a collection.  We had about $200 and one of my other co-workers showed us how to make a money tree this way.  Our tree was filled big bills, $20's and $10's, so you can imagine what a nice presentation it was!

Keep this in mind for the next time you're giving the gift of cash :)

Thanks for stopping by.





9 comments:

Ryann Salamon said...

Love this! Would be fun with patterned paper too! I'm filing this away for future use :)

~amy~ said...

EXcellent...hmmmm...my daughter's birthday is coming up....what a fun idea to squeak in some crafty time for all the party goers:)

~amy~ said...

HA...I "pinned" it and it's literally going viral:)

Alice Wertz said...

here is my address if you need a place to send this tree to... =) thank you for the fabulous idea and tutorial, Laura! super fun project! hope you have a beautiful weekend! =)

Lindsay said...

Completely awesome! What a fun idea!

Heidi said...

WEhat a great idea/

Bex said...

Brilliant!
Love that idea....
Imagine the possibilities with this.....
Isn't there some sort of tradition where the bride gets a dollar for a dance or something. Anywho....thought that would be cute at at wedding.
TFS!
I love it:0)

claudia shadler said...

what a neat tutorial Laura, so I take it you made this one for me :)

TFS,
C

Anonymous said...

This is great. I looked everywhere online for a decent looking money tree with a tutorial and then my friend found your link. This is perfect.