Monday, July 11, 2011

Gallery Idol Round 1



Eeek! The first found of Paper Crafts Gallery Idol cards are up and they are fantastic!

Our first challenge was to make a DIY embellishment and here is what I came up with:




I made a small friendship bracelet for a friendship card.


I've never made one of these before. I found this tutorial and the image of the smartly dressed woman with the wrist full of friendship bracelets made me smile, so I followed the instructions and taught myself how to make one.



I used some solid colored bakers twine from Martha Stewart Crafts. The tutorial recommends embroidery floss but this was what I had on hand and it was working pretty well so I just stuck with it. The stamps I used are Clear and Simple's Tweet Notes and Lawn Fawn's Hello Friend. I did the stamping on Speckletone True White cardstock and made the background with a leafy branch stamp from Tweet Notes and colored the leaves with my Copics. The kraft is embossed with the Cuttlebug Branches folder.

And then I went ahead and made a real bracelet as a gift to go with the card:




So here is the part where I'm going to ask for your vote. I would really love to make it to the next round!




Please follow this link and if after viewing the entries you like mine the best I would really appreciate your vote! You have to register to vote, you'll see, but it only takes a moment and you can check a box to opt out of receiving any emails from Paper Crafts.


Voting is open from July 11 through Thursday July 14. My card is #18 of 20 in the round 1 lineup.



I'm really excited just to have made it this far!

19 comments:

Aimes said...

This super sweet card took me back to making friendship bracelets which was a HUGE craze when I was at school! I love that your card includes one AS WELL as a bracelet for a coordinating gift! Super!
Good Luck!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Angelnorth said...

I came, I saw, I voted ;o) Love the way you've done the leaves to match the colours in the bracelet and what a great idea to make the real deal to go with the card too!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

This is so creative! I love the friendship bracelet on the card, and the real one to go with it. I used to make those ALL of the time, which is why I have such a HUGE collection of embroidery floss.

Good luck! :)

Kathi said...

I voted for you!!!

I also really like the card, though in truth, I was going to vote for you anyway. :D

Debbie Carriere said...

Fantastic idea for a super sweet card!!! Brings me back!! Good luck!

Lindsay said...

This is too super cute! I love the colors and those birdies, adorable! Good luck!!

JeanFB said...

WOWZA!!! This is spectacular! The friendship bracelet as a DIY embellishment absolutely rocks. And I loooove the background paper you've created, perfectly matched. I am off now to vote (seriously, do I really need to look at the rest? How could they be better than this?) :) Good luck, Laura!

Basement Stamper said...

Great friendship bracelet, so cute! Loved seeing the Clear & Simple birds, they are darling.

Angi @ CokiePop said...

This is so super fun. :)

Kristii said...

Such an absolutely sweet card! Your little friendship bracelet embellies is absolutely perfect!

Courtney K said...

first of all - congrats on making it to the top 20. and your card is super cute - love the friendship bracelet idea.

Sarah said...

I really love those colors together, Laura. And the custom background paper is perfect. Good luck!

Meg said...

I always wear my friendship bracelets with my power suit, don't you?

Your card is so cute and you totally fooled me on the background paper--I thought it was printed!

Good luck!

Melissa Wright said...

Great idea to include the friendship bracelet on the card!!

Jaclyn Miller said...

Aren't friendship bracelets fun - we made a few on our trip to FL a couple of months ago. How clever of you to use it as a perch for those birdies! Your card is so colorful too. Wishing you the best of luck in this competition!

Cristina said...

First of all, a friendship bracelet? Come on! How stinkin' cool! And second of all, you've never made one before? Oh, man, we used to spend all of recess making these things. Love that you used Tweet Notes, too. Good luck!

Alice Wertz said...

so clever that you used the friendship bracelet for tree branch! love love this fab card, Laura! good luck with the voting!

Valerie said...

Love this card Laura and that bracelet is taking me back in time...such a clever idea. Loving your color combo, too. Good luck!!

Ryann Salamon said...

Love, love, love this card Laura! So clever and creative. Best of luck to you!!!