Friday, July 15, 2011

Celebrate


Happy Friday, everyone!

I had a chance to play with some new (to me) stamps and my watercolor crayons this week.

For this card I made the washed background with a Caran D'Ache Neocolor 2 watercolor crayon on watercolor paper and I heat embossed the silhouette stamp from Technique Tuesday's Life is Good stamp set. The sentiment is from Kids Are Cool.

And I dyed some seam binding with the watercolor crayons.


A few weeks ago Teri Anderson stepped out dyeing twill with the crayons on the Technique Tuesday Splitcoast board and I wondered if it would work on seam binding. I tried it and it works great! As you can see above I just did a rough scribble on one side of the seam binding.



Then I put it in a cup and added water. The crayon liquified very easily. I squeezed it with a paper towel and let it air dry, but you could also use a heat gun and speed up the drying.

I made these 4 colors:



The crayons I used are Lilac, Grass Green, Orangish Yellow, and Cobalt Blue. They are all available here on Technique Tuesday's website. I discovered when I was doing the yellow and the green that less water in the cup, like only 1 teaspoon keeps the color darker.

And I was so happy to find out this morning that I'm moving on to round 2 of Paper Crafts Gallery Idol!



Thank you so much for your votes! I am truly honored to have made it this far in the company of such a talented group of cardmakers.


Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

8 comments:

Tanis said...

OH my goodness! What a fab way to color your seam binding!
Love it :)
Congrats again!

JeanFB said...

Oooh, I love this! I was just researching Caran d'Ache a few days ago, trying to decide whether to take the plunge. Then I figured I'd better get a little cheapy watercolor crayon set to see if I could do anything with them first. I love what you've done with the seam binding, and the image is gorgeous. Just the kind of thing that will enable me.... ;) Thanks! And of course, a big, HUGE congrats! I'll be voting for the next one, too. :) Have a great weekend.

clouds shadler said...

Laura, what a neat idea! What cool way to color ribbon! Lovely card and congrats on making the 2nd round of card idol, I voted for ya, hehe ... :)

Hugs,
C :)

Kathy Martin said...

How cool....ribbon dying with crayons! :)

Alice Wertz said...

such a beautiful card. love the crayon sky! and Big congrats on making the second round!! so very happy and excited for you! =) have a beautiful weekend!

~amy~ said...

your card is super sweet...love the silhouette image...I'm THRILLED that you're into round 2!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see what you up your sleeve:)

Linda E said...

Fabulous idea, Laura! And, many congrats on your Idol achievement!

Courtney K said...

love this card - especially the colored background behind the silhouette stamp.