Thursday, March 10, 2011

Distress Painting


I made this sweet set of tags using one of Technique Tuesday's new releases, Little Ladies. For the coloring I used the watercoloring with Distress Inks technique, which I am not the inventor of but I thought I'd step out real quick if anyone isn't familiar with it.



Yes, I have all of the Distress inks. I even have one of the cases which believe it or not I found on super duper clearance at AC Moore. I just wish I had bought a second one to hold the rest of my inks before the cases went discontinued.

All of these Distress colors are rich and juicy and authentically vintage. As soon as I saw the Little Ladies stamp set I thought of this coloring technique.

First stamp the images with StazOn ink on watercolor paper. I use Fabriano Acquarello 140lb hot pressed paper. There are less expensive watercolor papers but I think this one helps the blending a lot.



What I like to do is press the inkpad down on a plate, then dip the paintbrush in water and dilute the ink a little. Test the color on the side of the watercolor paper before you start painting the image. This paintbrush I'm using is meant to be filled with water but I find I squeeze too much out and get the paper too wet so I just use it as a regular paintbrush.



This technique is very easy and forgiving and I think you'll be happy with the results even on the first try. The one thing I can say, though, is that its time consuming. I remembered this as I had my whole kitchen island covered with inkpads and saw I was just painting these 2 images, tee hee!, so I decided to stamp a bunch more and get a mass production going.



Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.
I made the above tags for one of the 2Peas Winterfest challenges, which are still going on. Besides the Little Ladies stamps I used the Papertrey Tag Sale 3 die and Martha Stewart Crafts bakers twine.



7 comments:

Heidi said...

Beautiful tags. Thanks for the idea for the distress ink.

Tanis said...

LOVE.
Can't wait for these ones!

Samantha Sibbet said...

your work is beautiful, those lil girls are too adorable. Have a great weekend!

Charlene Austin said...

They look amazing Laura!!! I just rec'd those stamps and I can't wait to try this type of colouring. It totally suits the style of the stamps.

JeanFB said...

Gorgeous coloring, Laura! I love this technique, and those images are adorable. Great project, thanks for the tips.

clouds shadler said...

I luv these and I luv the tut, very nicely put. I just learned that tech and it's so much fun, u can emboss images and paint them as well, where in between the embossing if u have a stamp like that, very cute!

Hugs,
C :)

Alice Wertz said...

beautiful watercolor effect, Laura!! love love these!!