Tuesday, September 21, 2010

All Boy, and My Card Photography System


I got to play with one of the new digital releases at 2Peas a little early this week for the 1 Kit 3 Ways spotlight on the digi blog. This kit is All Boy by Jen Martakis. It is so cute, and perfect for kids cards.

I've seen a few people step out their card photography systems on their blogs and I thought I'd share mine. It's not very sophisticated, but it works for me.

Here is my "card portrait studio"


White T shirt draped over the steps! This spot in my house has some great natural light coming from that side window and also sliding glass doors and more windows on the opposite side, behind where I am when I'm taking the picture.

I use a Nikon D70 with a fixed (non zoom) 35mm lens and natural light. This camera is about 6 years old.

Here is how the picture looks straight out of the camera:


I open the photo in Photoshop Elements 6 and here is what I do:

1. Crop the photo.
2. From the dropdown click Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels.
3. Click the white eyedropper, drag the eyedropper to the white t shirt and click again.
4. Click Enhance>Auto Sharpen.


And here is how it comes out. The final step is to resize and save the image for web display. To do this click File>Save for Web. Set the quality at Very High and then resize the image to 550 on the long side, save it, and you're done. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

8 comments:

clouds shadler said...

Wow Laura, what a clever way to take pics of yer card! hehe, mine is just my window sill, thas the only place I can get natural lighting, which is the best! I do polish the pic on iPhoto, cuz I'm pretty sure I dunn have Adobe, maybe I shud! thanks for sharing! I really like the card, so boyish and fun!

Hugs,
C :)

~amy~ said...

thanks for this...you make the PSE sound so easy smeasy....what happens in the winter when you don't have so much natural lighting? Does PSE make up for that?

Love your cute boy card!

Alice Wertz said...

thanks for sharing your photo tips, Laura. so i should try auto sharpen next time i edit my photos. no wonder your photo comes out perfectly each time! love the cute card, too! =)

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

What????? No super fancy smansy studio thingy?????? (just kidding!)

I LOVE this! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

And, adorable card:)

Heidi said...

What a great card.

Laura O'Donnell said...

Amy - yes - the white eyedropper does wonders to compensate on dark or cloudy days.

Kathi said...

Wow. A built in white box with no fuss, no muss, and no bother.

I haven't fussed around with the settings much and it shows on my photos. I'll have to give your method a try.

Oh yes. The card is absolutely adorable.

Deirdre said...

Great card - great view into how you process your photos too. TFS.