Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cookie Love


I have more bad news. But first I'll talk about this card and then you can decide if you want to stick around for the rest :)

Every so often I participate in the sketch challenges over at the Get Sketchy blog and back in the fall there was a week where Stamping Bella was the sponsor. I made a card and was very honored to get picked for the top 5. The winning card is totally adorable and deserved the win, but for weeks after I kept thinking about the Bellas I had browsed during the contest week and finally cracked and did some shopping. Here are my first inkings with the Cookie Love and Hanging Hearts. So if any mfgrs are on the fence about sponsoring a challenge blog I would say, from my experience, that it will definitely bring you some business!

So now the bad news. Our house was robbed on Christmas night while we were home and asleep. We slept through the whole thing, thank goodness. I woke up yesterday (the 26th) at my usual 5:00 am, came downstairs and made coffee and was on my way to our basement where our computer is. As I was coming down the stairs the basement seemed very cold and the first thing I saw was the sliding door wide open. I went over and shut the door and then it registered what had happened and I went running and screaming back up the stairs. My husband came running down from our bedroom way faster than someone who just had major surgery should be running. I told him about the door and we called 911 and the police were here in minutes. We came back down to the basement with the officer and found that the thief (1 set of tracks in the snow) had broken in through the window and gone out through the slider. He took, from the basement, my daughter's Wii and the Wii games and controllers, and her electric guitar. He did not take the old clunker desktop Mac I'm typing on right now or our tv which is a big, older fat backed tv. I don't think he ever came upstairs, just took from the basement and left. In October a neighbor was also robbed while she was at home and asleep. The thief also came in through a basement window and stole a flat screen tv. Another neighbor who has lived on this street for 40 years told me yesterday that these are the only 2 robberies she's aware of for as long as she's lived here.

But other than getting robbed we had a lovely Christmas, LOL! My daughter loved her laptop and I was able to do the setup and get the internet up in minutes. Earlier in the week I bought my husband an old man style LaZboy recliner which got delivered on Christmas eve and he's now finally able to get comfortable. The first few nights he was home from the hospital he was constantly moving from chairs to the bed and rearranging pillows. This chair is just what he needed. My in laws came to our house on Christmas morning and I made brunch. Then they took Mary Rose with them to my sister in laws house for Christmas dinner and a sleepover at their house. She wasn't here for the excitement, I'm glad about that.

So I hope this is the end of our streak of bad luck. It seems like the worst things that have ever happened to me have happened in the past year and I really hope this is the end of it. If you've read this far, thanks for hanging in there with me.



9 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, Laura! I'm so sorry that happened to you--especially on Christmas night! I know how it makes you feel--happened to me once, although we weren't home at the time...I'll tell you about it if you ever want to know. I can also tell you how I got better, and I REALLY needed to get better!

You have such a beautiful attitude--I just love that about you! Hang in there...2010 is going to be a great year for you--you deserve it!

~amy~ said...

Oh no....that absolutely stinks Laura...thank goodness you and your family are okay...hang in there...btw, your card is fabbie:)

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

First.. love your adorable card! It's been a while since I did the Bella shopping thing and those are adorable! I have tons that are just not inked! It's a collection... and you are so right about a mfg doing challenges.. Hello! Can you say CHF???? Boatloads of bucks spent!

OK... Reading this gave me chills.. Big fat goosebumps and big ol' pools of water in my eyes! Man... so glad you are all OK..and that your husband didn't hurt himself when he did the mad dash...

What a rotten thief... I hope the punk get's caught...and his mama slaps him silly! Hopefully the Police are watching the pawn shops and want ads ...

And.. I am wishing you a very happy New Year! All this bad stuff must go away! Shoo!

Missus Wookie said...

Gorgeous card but horrible event. I'm so glad none of you were hurt and the thief didn't come upstairs :( Hope 2010 is a better year.

Teresa said...

Gosh Laura - what a rotten thing to have happened! I'm glad you still managed to enjoy Christmas. Love the card BTW.

Ann said...

Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that! That sucks. Here's hoping 2010 holds all the best for you!

clouds shadler said...

Who robs someone;s stuff on Xmas! i'm so sorry to hear Laura, but looking at it on the bright side, well, at least it was just things and no one got hurt. We live in an apt complex and we do travel on xmas every other yr, crosses our minds all the time that someone doesn't come and rob us, thank goodness it has never happened! You def have a positive attitude about it! Your card is awesome, i really like it, so full of color!

Hugs
Clouds :D

Tiff said...

ACK! I am so sorry to hear about this! Sounds like the robber just needs merchandise! Check out your local pawn shop...don't be surprised if you find it there! It could be a neighbor kid that knows the families :( Ok, my detective mind is just full of ideas on how to catch the culprit...

Glad you all are safe! And, I am so jealous you're rocking the Jessica Rose images from Stamping Bella!

Kim said...

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry!! You guys have had a rough few weeks. Thank God no one was hurt or woke up when this person was in your house. Sounds like this person is making the rounds in your neighborhood, praying he or she gets caught!! And praying that things will look up in 2010... XXOO