Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's A Boy, and an update


Another card from the new Rummage Bin stamp set, Baby Dear. And some good news. My bosses at Cornish Heritage Farms, Liz and Richard Pomeroy, adopted a baby over the weekend! Liz posted pictures and the story of sweet little Caleb here on her blog.

Thank you all so much for reading my story in the last post. Your words are very comforting. We met with the surgeon on Monday and he's leaving on Saturday to do surgeries in Haiti and won't be able to schedule John for 3 weeks, so we've set up another appt with a different surgeon in the same group. He described the procedure, which involves taking out the tumor and section of colon, 5-7 days in the hospital followed by a 4 week recovery. There would not be a bag coming home, and the recovery would mean no heavy lifting or travel. He would not necessarily be laid up the whole time and can do some work at home which we are set up for and he does now. During the surgery they will be able to see if the cancer has spread and if an oncologist/chemo will be needed. So now he has a cat scan today and a meeting with the new surgeon on Monday.

I'm cooking Thanksgiving tomorrow. I cook every year and my mother in law offered to take it this year but I'd rather keep us at home. Usually I spend days browsing recipes deciding what I'll cook, then do my shopping and have to go back 2 more times because I forgot stuff or want to add something. This year I kicked it into high gear - 10 minutes to plan the menu, 20 in the grocery store and I'm good to go! We've been told a low fiber diet will keep John comfortable so I've bought stuff I don't usually buy, like regular white bread, white noodles, and white rice. The grocery store has only a small amount of shelf space for this stuff now. It seems they've really responded to consumer demand for high fiber.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. Believe it or not I might be Black Friday shopping at 6 am on friday! My daughter has asked for a laptop this year, and the Staples office supply store in the little strip mall close to our house is having some great sales. I'll let you know if this works out!

7 comments:

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Hello Laura!
Happy Thanksgiving to you sweets. I'm glad that things are moving along for your special man...

I'm cooking tomorrow, too! A very nontraditional Turkey day.. no Turkey! We are having Leg of Lamb and other foods we all voted on - more like a 'favorite foods' Thursday:)

Again, I have your family in my prayers..

Hugs..

Jessica said...

Hi Laura I love your card!! TFS and the occasion your celebrating is wonderful. Adoption stories warm my heart :)

I'm also glad that you were able to schedule another visit to the doctor and that things are moving quickly and smoothly. I hold you and your husband (and little ones) in my prayers.

Have a lovely Thanksgiving Day!!
Hugs

Julie said...

Good morning, Laura! So happy to hear things are underway, and you sound in good spirits--so glad! It will all go well!

You're on top of Thanksgiving, girl! Well done! I was a little better at planning this year--feels good, doesn't it?

That card is adorable! I just made my first card with that lovely set & will post it tomorrow--so many beautiful images!

Hope your Thanksgiving is glorious and delicious!

JeanFB said...

Hello Laura,
So glad that you and John now have a plan of action - sometimes there is comfort in knowing a bit about what comes next. Time to step out of the moment and have a relaxing Thanksgiving, I hope. And, some shopping fun, perhaps? :) All my best to you and your family!
Jean

Kathi said...

I just wanted to wish you a happy holiday and to let you know that I'm thinking of you all.

Your card is exceptional as always. Cornish Heritage Farm is lucky to have you. I'm happy for their lovely news too.

Laural-Lee said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Laura. I admire your ability and faith to let life go on as normal. I'm so happy to hear that the ball is rolling so fast for your husbands surgery.

Congrats to your friends adoption. I too love adoption stories.

~amy~ said...

I'm behind on my google reader...fabulous card...love how you teamed Baby Dear with the basic Grey..

Thanks for keeping us in the loop with what's going on...sending you good ju-ju...