Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gingersnap Spicy Supply Challenge


I'm playing along with the weekly challenges at Gingersnap Creations again. This week's theme is Spicy Supply - Brads.

I used the Cornish Heritage Farms Wood Grain stamp and embossed it with Ranger Distress EP. I bought this stuff when it first came out a few years ago and I didn't realize at the time that "distress" meant it wouldn't get shiny. I just thought I was buying EP in those rich and juicy Tim Holtz colors. So I went to use it and I'm heating, heating, heating, waiting for that shiny glaze that tells you its melted and its not coming. I finally turned off the gun thinking the powder must be defective and when I touched the paper I realized the EP had melted, it just didn't get shiny. Doh! That wasn't the look I was going for at the time so I never used it again until now. It adds a nice texture to this very authentic looking woodgrain stamp.

The fancy fabric covered brad is made by K&Co. I was going to leave the cotton flower plain to keep the focus on the brad, but then changed my mind and tarted it up with some Glimmer Mist, ric rac, and velvet leaves.

Supplies: Cornish Heritage Farms Woodgrain stamp, Ranger Distress Aged Mahogany EP, Bazzill kraft and textured pink cardstock, Prima cotton flower, Tattered Angels Pink Bubblegum Glimmer Mist, Martha Stewart Crafts brown ric rac, 7 Gypsies velvet leaves, K&Co Que Sera Sera brad.

5 comments:

~amy~ said...

FABulous job Laura...love the background and your flower is magnificent!

Godelieve said...

So beautiful Laura! Love the fabric flower!
One thing I didn't know when I started using Distress EP: You have to let it cool down, before you start rubbing the crystals off. It looks great on this woodgrain stamp!

Craft u Crazy said...

oh wow, stunning card.

hugs
adele

travelingmama said...

Oh my! This is really fantastic! I love the dimension and the raw, earthy feel it has!!

Shar said...

Love how you used the brad and your background is awesome. Took me a few tries too with that embossing powder until I figured out how it worked. It's cool, isn't it?