Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pumpkin Puppy


This is a new Cornish Heritage Farms stamp coming out on Tuesday, the Sara England Pumpkin Puppy. So cute! And I paired her up in a 5 1/2" circle card with a frame made from the CHF Distressed Circles Scrapblock. If I were ever stranded on a desert island and could take only 1 scrapblock I think it would be this one! Coloring the puppy is done by applying the ink with water based markers (don't use your Copics, all you will do is dye the rubber!) direct to the rubber, then "huffing" on the stamp to refresh the ink, then stamping the image. This is stepped out in a tutorial on the CHF forum which you can take a look at here. My tries at this, however, didn't work so well as you can see from the next photo. There is coverage, but it's a little thin in some spots and I really wanted this doggie image to be even colored.

So here's what I tried, and it worked pretty well. I used the markers and colored over the stamped image to give it a second coat. The ink went on very smooth and evenly. I used the fine point of the markers to go around the detailed spots like the eyes and the veins of the leaves. For the bigger portions I colored with the brush end using little circles like you would with Copics.

By the time I was done I was really happy with how he came out.

Supplies: Cornish Heritage Farms Sara England Pumpkin Puppy and Distressed Circles Scrapblock; Cornish Heritage Farms Simply Smooth Vanilla cardstock; Tsukineko Memento ink and markers; Prima leaves; Autumn Leaves buttons; Martha Stewart Crafts ribbon.

2 comments:

clouds shadler said...

what a cute card Laura, the little doggie is so cute inside the pumpkin, I like your tutorial on how to color the images!

Hugs
Clouds :D

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

WOW this turned out amazing using that technique! I would've never thought you did it that way! I love distressed circles scrapblock too, by far my favorite of them all! :) Beautiful, Laura!