Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Travelers Inspiration

I made this for the inspiration challenge at Traveling Mama.

Here is the inspiration photo.  As you can see I was inspired by the big blue sky!


The "sky" on my card is some painted chipboard that I did earlier this week.  I made a few different pieces in a few different colors.  The chipboard is just a 12x12 piece from the back of a paper pack that I cut into random rectangles.


 













I took a photo midway thru to step it out if anyone wants to try this.  First I painted the pieces with gesso.  I just use a makeup sponge as my "paintbrush" and throw it out when I'm done.  When the gesso has dried I paint on the acrylic paint and do a somewhat thin coat b/c I like for areas of the white gesso to show through a little bit.  I have an assortment of chipboard shapes (don't we all!) that I think I'm going to paint up next.



Supplies: Odd Bird Planet stamps, chipboard, gesso, Making Memories acrylic paint, American Crafts textured white cardstock

14 comments:

Tiff said...

Very cool! I love the color you used and the technique looks fun and messy! TFS :)

~amy~ said...

love your take on the inspiration...it has me stumped :) that bird is the perfect touch...looks like your blog header...

Randee E said...

Great card! Love painted chipboard. Really cool texture!

Heidi Van Laar said...

OMGoodness! Your card is absolutely stunning! I love the CAS design and that background technique is fabulous!

Ann said...

Beautiful, Laura!

Winter said...

Very pretty! I love the simple design! The sky really is beautiful! :)

Savitri said...

Just GORGEOUS!!

de said...

This is beautiful! I need to try that technique!

travelingmama said...

This is beautiful! I love your bird along with the chipboard! Thanks so much for playing along!
Hugs from Morocco!

Tethered2Home said...

Cool texture on the paper. I've never tried gesso, but have been meaning too. Be sure that make up sponge gets tossed, don't want any mixups.

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Love your clean style! It fascinates me when designers create a card that could be @ Hallmark, but is handmade with blood, sweat, and tears! I just took a peak at your blog and really enjoyed it!

clouds shadler said...

wow! what a beautiful card! I love the clean and crisp look of it! I love your painting tech. looks like a lot of fun and it sure adds texture!

Clouds :D

Karrie Baker said...

Such a pretty card. Very, very NICE!!!

Lisa said...

Love how Clean And Simple this is!