Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Scribble This!


Lisa Spangler has a new challenge on her blog which combines cardmaking and product photography.  The challenge is to make a card that is mostly white, and then photo it using the custom white balance setting on your camera vs the auto setting.

Here's what I came up with.  

Much brighter/warmer than what my camera usually gives me (2nd photo below) and much less harsh than the corrections I get from Iphoto (3rd picture).  What I was doing before was using the auto white balance on my camera, getting the dark, grayish picture (like the 2nd photo) and then in Elements using "auto smart fix" and "auto lighten" to warm and brighten it up.  White cards are tough!  Actually so are black cards and kraft cards, and those are my 3 favorite colors.

                       I used Lisa's sample 
for my inspiration piece and stamps from Odd Bird Planet (Flora Ginormous and Jar Plain).






10 comments:

dotms said...

Laura, I was amazed at the different when using the custom white balance using Lisa's instructions. Great job and love the card.

~amy~ said...

Such the lovely card Laura!

I have got to play with Lisa's challenge..I just "discovered" the white balance on my point & shoot...

Ann said...

This card is beautiful, Laura! I love the colors against the white, and I adore anything that has Swiss Dots on white!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Wow! What a great card and you took the inspriation litterally! :) Perfect. Great job on the picture too. I have yet to read the tutorial, but from the before and after it looks worth it.

Tricia said...

Beautiful card! I have so much to learn about my camera.

Savitri said...

Gorgeous card!!! Love how you did the flower. Great picture too!!

Godelieve said...

What a difference! Love your card!

Patti said...

A note to say hello.

Ladybugsinthegarden.blogspot.com

Winter said...

So pretty! I love the flower!

Kim said...

I can't even stand it this is so fabulous...Two of my favorite stamps!